Picking is done in the morning and rind breakdown at noon, breaking the skin using a stone fruit with beaten until broken. When the harvest needs to be prepared for stacking boxes rind. Harvesting is done on the ripe fruit, but not too ripe (mature pisiologis). Cut the stem of the fruit stalk menyisishkan 1/3. Harvest is done until the base of the fruit will damage the bearing flowers, so the formation of flowers and if this is done continuously, then the fruit production will decline.
- Note the harvest ripe fruit, such as the above-mentioned mark
- Perform cutting the fruit stalk by using scissors or knife
- Do not harvest the fruit memelitir
- Fruit harvested fruit is not ripe, but also damaged the fruit harvested harvested animals (squirrels and rats) and fruit disease.
Some factors contributing to the quality of cocoa produced variety is the lack of processing facilities, weak quality control, as well as the application of technology stages of the processing of cocoa beans that are not oriented to quality.
Cocoa quality criteria which include physical aspects, taste and hygiene as well as aspects of diversity and consistency is determined by the treatment at each stage of the production process, the stages of processing and specification of tools and machines used menjasmin quality assurance should be defined clearly. The processing of the cocoa fruit cocoa quality determines the quality of the product, this criterion in the formation of calaon taste of cocoa and a reduction in undesirable taste, such as bitter taste and Sepet.
Harvesting cocoa processing
- Ripening fruit ripeness aimed at achieving uniformity and facilitate the issuance of cacao beans.
- Fruit inserted into wicker baskets or the like, stored in a cleaned and paved surfaces of leaves and covered with leaves.
- Curing is done in the shade, as well as long pemeramannya 5 to 7 days with one stirring.
- Solving or cleavage cocoa pods meant to get cocoa beans, cocoa pods splitting is done by way of caution, so as not to injure or damage the cocoa beans.
- Solving cocoa beans can use a wooden bat or banging one fruit with other fruit, to avoid direct contact with the cocoa beans metal objects, as this may cause the color of cocoa beans into gray.
- Cocoa beans are removed and then inserted in a plastic bucket or other container that is clean, being pith attached to the seeds removed.
Fermentation is intended to facilitate release of the surface of the skin lenders seed coat, and produces seeds with good quality and aroma, but it produces seeds that are resistant to pests and fungus. During storage and produce seeds with bright colors and clean. Containers and tools needed permentasi namely:
- Permentasi box is made of thick boards (2.5 cm)
- Bambo basket
- Banana leaf
Soaking and washing seeds
Soaking and washing goal is to stop the fermentation process and improve the appearance of seeds, before purification is done, soaking ± 3 hours to increase the amount of seed round with attractive appearance and bright brown color.
Purification can be done manually (by hand or using a dishwasher). Washing too clean, so that mucus membranes disappear altogether, in addition to causing weight loss also makes the seed coat becomes brittle and easily terkeluapas. Generally, the cocoa beans were washed types Edel, while the bulk types depending on market demand.
The purpose of drying the cocoa beans are:
1. Reducing the water content in cocoa beans at a safe moisture content for storage (from 55% up to 6 or 7%)
2. Reduce the bitter and astringent flavors in cocoa beans
3. Establish the color of cocoa beans into chocolate color
Tips drying of cocoa beans;
Avoid on the ground without a pedestal
Above the ground using a drying pad (plastic or mat)
On the cement floor
On top of the rack (best) for faster drying and evaporation occurs from the top down.
Thick stretch of one to two layers of seeds (3 s / d 5 cm)
Behind every 2 to 3 hours.
Width of 2 meters clothesline less cocoa, for a chance of reversal.
Provide a plastic cover (preparation rain)
Do not mix the seeds with damp seed
Diakri drying until the water content of 6 s / d 7.5%
The drying temperature should be between 55 ° to 66 ° C and the time when using the machine pengerig dibuthkan include 20 to 25 hours, whereas when drying time dibutuhakan ± 7 days.
Selection Process Cocoa Beans
Sorting of dry beans intended to separate the good seed anatar with seeds that defects in the form of broken seeds, dirt or other foreign objects, such as stones, bark and leaves. Sorting is done after 1 to 2 days dikeringan so that the moisture content is balanced, so the seeds are not too Rapu and not easily damaged, srtasi done by using a sieve and can separate the cocoa beans with dirt.
Packaging and storage of seeds
- Cocoa beans are packed with either a clean container and Strong
- Cocoa beans are not stored in one place with other agricultural products that stink.
- Cocoa beans should not be stored on top of-the kitchen, because the cocoa beans can be smelled smoke.
- Cocoa beans stored in a room, with a humidity of 75%.
- Among other cocoa beans and container are spaced ± 8 cm and the distance from the wall ± 60 cm, cocoa beans can be stored ± 3 months.